Ex Circumventing Divorce Decree’s Geographical Restriction

divorce lawyer Andrew LaufersQuestion:

My ex recently filed a petition to modify the geographical restriction that is set in the decree. She then withdrew the petition and got a cheap, second apartment within the geographical area.

I know that apartment is not where my child will be staying; she will actually be living with her new husband outside of the geographical area. What is my recourse?


I am unable to give you legal advice on divorce. I can give general divorce help for men, though, my knowledge is based on Minnesota divorce laws where I am licensed to practice.

You will want to make sure you have solid evidence that your ex-wife is not living in the apartment but actually living with her new husband outside the geographical area.

You may want to consider hiring a private investigator to obtain evidence where she is living.

Once you obtain the proof that she is living outside the geographical area, you could then file a motion indicating she was in violation of your decree and seeking whatever remedy is available under your state’s divorce laws.


State Divorce Laws

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than divorce tips for men, so please consult with a divorce lawyer in your jurisdiction.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Minnesota Divorce Lawyer Andrew J. Laufers, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *