How can I get child support reduced or terminated?


I have three children. The oldest is married and living out of the house. One is graduating high school, but has no plans on going to college immediately. My youngest doesn’t live with us anymore. What are the chances of my child support being reduced or terminated?


There may be certain statutes in Indiana that will provide for the termination of child support.  In many states, there are specific child support termination guidelines for not attending college after graduating from high school and at what age child support automatically terminates.

Please be advised that I am not licensed to practice in the state of Indiana.  I would advise you to seek independent advice from an attorney licensed in the state of Indiana.

You should not rely on this answer as establishing an attorney-client relationship and should seek an attorney in your are should you need additional information or legal representation. Cordell & Cordell, P.C. has attorneys in Indiana who would be glad to meet with you should you so choose.


Andrew VanNess is an Associate Attorney in the Kansas City, Missouri office of Cordell & Cordell, P.C. where he practices family law. Mr. VanNess is licensed to practice in Missouri. Mr. VanNess received his B.S. in Geography with a minor in Biology from Northwest Missouri State University, and his Juris Doctor from the University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Law.

End of Content Icon

One comment on “How can I get child support reduced or terminated?

    I live in Texas and I am paying “back child support” is there any way I can get the amount reduce or terminated. What form do I need to file? My chidren are past the age that require me to pay support.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *