How Do I Terminate My Alimony Payments?


I have been paying alimony for years and it is set to end at the end of the month.

How can I be certain that the automated alimony debt will cease to continue? Do I need to have my order changed, or will the system automatically do this for me?


While I am not licensed to practice law in your state and cannot give you legal advice, I can give some general observations on this issue based on the jurisdiction where I practice.

It could depend on the mechanism responsible for obtaining the funds. If you have signed an authorization for a state agency to access your checking account to withdraw the funds, then you should simply be able to revoke that authorization to make sure there are no extra funds withdrawn.

Omaha divorce attorney Nancy Shannon
Omaha divorce attorney Nancy Shannon

If there is an order in place that forces your employer to garnish your wages then you will need to take action provide your employer with proof that the order is no longer in effect.

I would expect that the decree of dissolution specifically states exactly how many months the alimony should last, so after this last month passes the amount due will no longer accrue.

Family law is based on statutes that are state specific. I am licensed to practice in Nebraska and am not able to give specific and detailed legal advice regarding your situation. You need to contact an attorney licensed in your state who specializes in domestic litigation.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Nebraska divorce lawyer Nancy Shannon, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *