How Do You Initiate A Paternity Hearing?

paternity Question:

My child was born a couple months ago and I am not on the birth certificate. The mother is uncooperative in letting me see the child.

Is there a specific form I use to initiate paternity and child custody hearings?


While I am not licensed to practice law in your state and cannot give you legal advice, I can give some general observations on this issue based on the jurisdiction where I practice.

Where I practice in Pennsylvania, an unmarried father can assume paternity by filing proper paperwork with the appropriate state agency, so long as the mother of the child consents to this action.

Philadelphia divorce attorney William Phelan
Philadelphia divorce attorney William Phelan

On the other hand, if the mother does not consent, then the father will need to file a complaint for paternity with the court. At hearings on such a complaint, the court will usually order a DNA test in an effort to determine paternity.

Due to the sensitive nature of this situation, I would strongly suggest you contact an attorney who handles family law matters in your jurisdiction, such as Cordell & Cordell, to see how your state’s laws can help you with this serious situation.

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than divorce tips, so please consult a domestic litigation attorney in your jurisdiction to obtain specific advice as to the laws in Wisconsin and how they impact your potential case.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Pennsylvania divorce lawyer William J. Phelan, IV, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

One comment on “How Do You Initiate A Paternity Hearing?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *