How Long Must I Pay Monetary Awards My Ex-Wife Was Granted?

divorce lawyer Jordan RapoffQuestion:

I lost my case against my ex-wife, and she was awarded certain monetary awards. Typically how long must I pay her this money?


I am unable to give you legal advice on divorce. I can give general divorce help for men, though, my knowledge is based on Missouri divorce laws where I am licensed to practice.

The final judgment should indicate how long a monetary award lasts.

For example, if your ex-wife was awarded child support, the judgment should state when child support terminates, e.g., pursuant to state statute, when the last child emancipates, when the last child reaches age 21, etc.

If your ex-wife was awarded maintenance, again, the judgment should state how long the maintenance is to last. Sometimes the maintenance award is good until either the spouse receiving maintenance remarries or passes away. Other times, a judgment may state a length of time.

Lastly, if your ex-wife was awarded a monetary award such as money from a 401(k) or retirement plan, again, the judgment should state how long you have to pay off the award, for example, six months from the date of judgment.

I recommend that you read the final judgment in depth and if you are still unclear on the language, I suggest speaking with an attorney.

Divorce Resource:

Family Law Attorney Directory

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than divorce tips for men, so please consult with a divorce lawyer in your jurisdiction.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Missouri Divorce Lawyer Jordan A. Rapoff, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *