How To Juggle A Child Support Order In Multiple States

child support across state linesQuestion:

Child support for my son was initially opened in New York and also closed in New York. I later moved to Texas while my son, who is now 18, moved to Virginia.

Since neither of us no longer live in New York, do I still need to pay child support until age 21 since the case originated in New York?


While I am not licensed to practice law in your state, I can give some general guidance on this issue.

To properly answer your question, I would need to review all of the orders from New York, along with all of the orders from Virginia. If the case was terminated or closed in New York, and a brand new case was opened in Virginia, then I believe Virginia law would control how your child support order is handled.

If the case was simply transferred from New York to Virginia, and if Virginia follows the Uniform Interstate Family Support Act, then I do not believe Virginia can modify the duration of the support order, just the amount of the support order.

However, this could all be moot if your son is no longer living with his mother.

I would recommend calling a Virginia family law attorney for a consultation first to review the support order that is currently in effect to see what language controls how it is implemented and terminated, along with gathering more information about your case.

End of Content Icon

Shawn Garrison is an Online Editor for Lexicon, focusing on subjects related to the legal services of customers, Cordell & Cordell and Cordell & Cordell UK. He has written countless pieces dealing with the unique child custody and divorce issues that men and fathers face. Through his work on,, and, Mr. Garrison has become an authority on the complexities of the legal experience and was a content creator for the YouTube series “Dad’s Divorce Live” and additional videos on both the Dad’s Divorce and Cordell & Cordell YouTube channels. Mr. Garrison has managed the sites of these customers, and fostered the creation of several of their features, including the Cordell & Cordell attorney and office pages, the Dad’s Divorce Newsletter, and the Cordell & Cordell newsletter.

2 comments on “How To Juggle A Child Support Order In Multiple States

    Hello –

    The Hudson Family Court manages my child support obligation through the probation system. My ex and our two teenagers have and continue to live in FL.

    I’m moving from NJ to TX. My employer remains the same. I have withdrawals/payments set up via my employer for child support.

    As modifications occur every year, I know another court date will happen after taxes are filed in 2020. Can I move my obligation from NJ to TX?

    Assuming I can move it, how do I go about doing so? Will TX uphold the current agreement and allow me to show up for court hearings in TX vs. fly back to NJ?

    Thank you!

    I have 2 kids with 2 different women in 2 different states. One in Oregon and 1 in Washington, I currently live in Washington state but am employeed In Oregon. Neither mother will let me have visitation with my kids. What can I do

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.