Liability For Child Support If Parental Rights Were Terminated

Omaha Nebraska Divorce LawyerQuestion:

My ex-wife moved out of state and said she had my parental rights terminated so I stopped paying child support.

Now several years later she is asking for back child support through the state that issued our divorce. So now I’m confused over whether my rights were ever stripped.

Am I still liable for child support if my parental rights were terminated?


I am unable to give you legal advice on divorce. I can give general divorce help for men, though, my knowledge is based on Nebraska and Iowa child support laws where I am licensed to practice.

In order for a child support order to stop accruing, there must be an order stating the same. In order to determine whether the issuing state stopped the child support order, your divorce lawyer would need copies of everything filed in your ex-wife’s new home state that you say stripped you of your parental rights.

Related Articles:

Termination of Parental Rights

If your child support has continued to accrue, so has the interest owed, which could easily add up to thousands of dollars.

In order for to stop accruing child support, you will need to get an order stopping support or modifying it. Child support attorneys can negotiate settling the arrearage with all parties involved to get your predicament resolved.

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than divorce tips for men, so please consult with a divorce lawyer in your jurisdiction.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Omaha, Nebraska Divorce Lawyer Jamie Kinkaid, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

One comment on “Liability For Child Support If Parental Rights Were Terminated

    Parental rights were terminated in 2000. All IRS for back child support was paid with nothing owed. We recently sold property and the title is pulling up a lein for back child support. Called Attorney General and was told everything was closed. I guess all the paper work for Texas didnt get that info. How do I know if pending child support is floating out there? Scared of empending interest on money that souldnt be owed.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *