Modifying Child Support When You Move States

child supportQuestion:

I have two children who are older than 18, but I still have child support arrears to catch up on. Will the state continuing garnishing the full amount (current support and arrears) or will it be recalculated?

One of the orders was set in Texas and the other one in California, although I recently started receiving both statements from Missouri (where I now live).


I do not practice law in your state. Therefore, I cannot inform you as to the specific laws of your state and can only provide you with general tips on your situation.

The procedures in each state are different regarding putting an end to child support withholdings once a child turns 18.

Virginia Beach divorce attorney Jonah Dickey
Virginia Beach divorce attorney Jonah Dickey

In theory once the child support enforcement agency in Missouri is informed that the children have turned 18, they should notify Texas and California and you should get credit towards the arrears for any overage that you paid on the current payments.

However, because the law differs from state to state, I would highly suggest consulting with an attorney in your home state first and then branching out to Texas and California if it becomes necessary.  Fortunately large firms like Cordell & Cordell have attorneys licensed in all three states.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Virginia divorce lawyer Jonah Dickey, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Shawn Garrison is an Online Editor for Lexicon, focusing on subjects related to the legal services of customers, Cordell & Cordell and Cordell & Cordell UK. He has written countless pieces dealing with the unique child custody and divorce issues that men and fathers face. Through his work on,, and, Mr. Garrison has become an authority on the complexities of the legal experience and was a content creator for the YouTube series “Dad’s Divorce Live” and additional videos on both the Dad’s Divorce and Cordell & Cordell YouTube channels. Mr. Garrison has managed the sites of these customers, and fostered the creation of several of their features, including the Cordell & Cordell attorney and office pages, the Dad’s Divorce Newsletter, and the Cordell & Cordell newsletter.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.