Paying Child Support For Grandchildren

divorce lawyer Jordan RapoffQuestion:

I have a minor child that I currently pay child support for and his girlfriend is pregnant.

Is it possible that the court could impose a second child support order for me to pay support for my grandchild since it is my minor child’s kid?


I am unable to give you legal advice on divorce. I can give general divorce help for men, though, my knowledge is based on Missouri child support laws where I am licensed to practice.

No, you would not be required to pay child support for your grandchild.

However, you will still be required to pay child support for your son unless your son gets married or is declared emancipated by the court. In my state, you would need to file a Motion to Emancipate in order to terminate your child support.

However, if you do not believe that your son is capable of supporting himself and now your future grandchild, terminating child support is not likely in your child’s best interest.

While it is ultimately your decision whether to file a motion to emancipate, where I practice, child support will terminate regardless when your son turns 18 unless he is enrolled in an institution of vocation or higher education by no later than October following his high school graduation.

Child Support Laws:

Age of Emancipation In Your State

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than divorce tips for men, so please consult with a divorce lawyer in your jurisdiction.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Missouri Divorce Lawyer Jordan A. Rapoff, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

One comment on “Paying Child Support For Grandchildren

    My child turned 21 on April 6th.
    When I called child support enforcement to have them fax a letter to my employer to stop the garnishment on my wages, I was informed I had to keep paying weekly until May 15th. When I asked why, they informed me that the month of April isn’t due until the 15th of April, and that I’d still owe for the entire month of April.
    It clearly states in the statue covering this that when the child turns 21 my obligations are over unless a judge orders otherwise. I have no otherwise from the judge in my orders. So why and how can they do this?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *