Protecting Children From An Alcoholic Parent

divorce lawyer Jordan RapoffQuestion:

I am engaged and we have a child together, but I am increasingly fearful for our children’s safety when with my fiancée, who is an alcoholic.

She can become dangerous and should not be left unattended with the children when she is drinking. She even drunken drives with our children in the car.

I am not ready to separate, but I would like to be prepared in the event I need to in order to ensure my children are safe.

How can I protect the children and myself in the event that something ever happens?


I am unable to give you legal advice on divorce. I can give general divorce help for men, though, my knowledge is based on Missouri divorce laws where I am licensed to practice.

While I understand at this time you do not want to separate from your fiancée, I recommend that you involve the police when she says or does things harmful to you and your children.

If you are truly concerned for your children’s safety, if someday you do separate you want to make sure that your children are not in harm’s way by being left alone with their mother.

It’s important that if your fiancée is indeed harming your children by driving drunk with them that there is a police report of this incident and behavior.

I also recommend that you keep a journal of everything going on. If things escalate and a judge is involved, you will be required to prove that your fiancée is a danger to the children. This is another important reason to involve the police.

Again, I strongly urge that you call the police when your fiancée behaves in such a way that causes you to fear for you and your children’s safety.

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than divorce tips for men, so please consult with a divorce lawyer in your jurisdiction.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Missouri Divorce Lawyer Jordan A. Rapoff, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

One comment on “Protecting Children From An Alcoholic Parent

    No Brainer
    Keep the children out of the car, let her go out and get drunk and call it in, have her get a DUI keep CPS out of it
    If you do nothing and you already admitted she puts the children in Harms way you are just as guilty……cover your ass

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *