Requesting Child Support Post-Divorce

divorce lawyer Jordan RapoffQuestion:

At the time of the divorce no child support was awarded to either party. However, my ex-wife’s earnings have significantly increased in the years since our divorce.

I am considering requesting child support from her. Is this possible if no child support was awarded in our divorce?


I am unable to give you legal advice on divorce. I can give general divorce help for men, though, my knowledge is based on Missouri child support laws where I am licensed to practice.

Under my state’s laws, the standard for modifying a child support order is a substantial and continuing change in circumstances. You would need to prove to the court that your ex-wife’s income has substantially increased in the years since your divorce was finalized.

Typically, the court will require a showing that there has been a 20% increase or decrease in the potential child support amount awarded to either parent. However, it is entirely within the court’s discretion to award child support despite the 20% increase or decrease.

Related Articles:

Child Support Modification

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than divorce tips for men, so please consult with a divorce lawyer in your jurisdiction.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Missouri Divorce Lawyer Jordan A. Rapoff, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *