Retroactive Requests For Child Support, Alimony From Divorce Filing Date

divorce lawyer Jordan RapoffQuestion:

My wife is requesting the court award her alimony and child support from the date she filed for divorce.

The biggest problem I have with this is that we still live in the same house, and I provide for all our living expenses.

If we still reside in the same house, what are the chances that the court will award her alimony and child support from the filing date?


I am unable to give you legal advice on divorce. I can give general divorce help for men, though, my knowledge is based on Missouri divorce laws where I am licensed to practice.

What you are referring to as alimony is what we now call maintenance. Based on the limited facts that you have given me, unfortunately there is a not a clear cut answer either way.

It is within the court’s discretion to award maintenance and child support retroactive to the date of filing.

However, you have a strong argument to make to the judge that your wife does not need maintenance or support dating back as she is living in the same house and you are still providing for all the bills, food, and expenses for the children.

Divorce Resources:

Child Support Calculators

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than divorce tips for men, so please consult with a divorce lawyer in your jurisdiction.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Missouri Divorce Lawyer Jordan A. Rapoff, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *