Enforcing Divorce Decree On Someone Other Than Your Ex

Houston divorce lawyerQuestion:

I need instructions on how to enforce my divorce decree that concerns the clause discussing the car title.

I was awarded the vehicle, but the car title is in my name, my ex-wife’s name, and my ex’s mother’s name. My ex-wife has signed the title, but my ex-mother-in-law is refusing to sign.

How can I enforce my decree that calls for my ex-wife’s mother to sign the car title?


I am unable to give you legal advice on divorce. I can give general divorce help for men, though, my knowledge is based on Texas divorce laws where I am licensed to practice.

You can file a Motion for Enforcement of the divorce decree by contempt. A party affected by a decree of divorce providing for a division of property may request enforcement of that decree by filing a suit to enforce.

Any party who may be affected by the suit is entitled to receive notice. Therefore, upon filing your motion to enforce, you will have to notice your ex-mother-in-law by citation to appear on the motion.

DadsDivorce Live:

Contempt of Court

Keep in mind that in my state a suit to enforce has to be filed within two years after the decree has been finalized or your suit is barred. As long as you file the suit within two years of the final order then it can be heard by the court that granted your divorce.

Also, a court may award reasonable attorney’s fees in this case if you your motion to enforce requests attorney’s fees.

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than divorce tips for men, so please consult with a divorce lawyer in your jurisdiction.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Texas Divorce Lawyer Ijeoma A. Ugoezi, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *