Serving Employment Requests For Child Support Garnishment

divorce lawyer Caroline ThompsonQuestion:

Can my ex-wife serve me requesting information as to my place of employment to be utilized for a child support garnishment?

What are my obligations to inform the court of employment changes?


I am unable to give you legal advice on divorce. I can give general divorce help for men, though, my knowledge is based on Pennsylvania child support laws where I am licensed to practice.

Though child support laws vary by state, in general, all parties to support orders must promptly inform the local domestic relations office of these “material” changes to his or her personal circumstances.

These types of material changes not only include salary changes, health insurance benefits changes, daycare expense changes, etc., but also changes in employment, such as job changes, unemployment status, and any other issues that affect the support order at issue.

Therefore, at least where I practice, you are under an affirmative duty to notify the court of a change in employment, such as obtaining a new job as long as a support order remains in effect.

However, in some jurisdictions under the support aspect of a case, the opposing party cannot serve discovery (requests for information) without first seeking court approval to do so.

Therefore, if court approval is not sought, then documentation does not have to be provided under a support docket request. However, if the request is made under the divorce aspect of a case, then the information should be provided.

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than divorce tips for men, so please consult with divorce lawyers for men in your jurisdiction.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Philadelphia Divorce Lawyer Caroline J. Thompson, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *