Son Graduating & Moving Out: Can I Pay Child Support Directly to Him Now?

Question:maura boogay attorney pennsylvania new jersey

My son is graduating and moving out of my ex’s house soon. He plans on attending a community college in a different state.

I’d like to start paying child support directly to him, rather than to my ex.

What are my options for getting the support directly to him?


While I am not licensed to practice law your state, I can give some general guidance on this issue.

In many states, they do not have child support obligations beyond emancipation (18 or graduating high school, whichever happens later). In others, they do have college support – or support that continues so long as the child is attending college.

In some of the states where such college support exists, you cannot get an order that will make your support go directly to your child; you would have to continue to pay through wage garnishment to the state and the money is given to the parent receiving support on behalf of the child.

You should immediately consult with an attorney in your state to see if there is a way to redirect support to your son. However, because I know many states do not allow you to do this, I would say you should explore the issue but should also expect the possibility that it might not be possible.

It may also depend on what the specific laws in your state say with regard to college support. If there is the tuition and the book costs that are to be covered, maybe those can be paid directly to the institution. This would guarantee proper allocation of support funds, but again, this depends on the state’ specific rules.

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than divorce tips for men, so please consult a domestic litigation attorney in your area to obtain specific advice as to the laws in your state and how they impact your potential case.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Pennsylvania and New Jersey divorce lawyer Maura Boogaycontact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *