What Are The Different Types Of Child Custody?

child custodyQuestion:

What are the different types of child custody?


While I am not licensed to practice law in your state and cannot give you legal advice, I can give some general observations on this issue based on the jurisdiction where I practice.

Where I practice in Pennsylvania, when it comes to physical custody of a minor child, there is primary custody (having the majority of the time with the child), partial custody (having less than a majority of the time with the child), shared custody (the right of more than one individual to have custody) and sole custody (exclusive custody of the child).

Pennsylvania divorce attorney William Phelan
Cordell & Cordell Pennsylvania divorce attorney William Phelan, IV

Given these definitions found in Pennsylvania, when one is talking about “shared” physical custody of a child, that typically means the parents have nearly equal time with the child. If a parent has a quarter of the time with the child, usually it is characterized as “partial” physical custody.

If you are looking to attain additional time with your children, I would strongly suggest you contact an attorney who handles family law matters in your jurisdiction, such as Cordell & Cordell, to see how your state’s laws can help you with this serious situation.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Pennsylvania divorce lawyer William J. Phelan, IV, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

One comment on “What Are The Different Types Of Child Custody?

    My daughter passaway allmost two year ago.She had a will made up saying That me Sharon her mother wood raise James her son he ten. The dad fround out and we been going to court.So far judge has me a soul custody. Now the dad has a bad pass.He cut one of his girlfriend . Assault with a knife and he had a rape charge on him and he has a very bad past and with that being he own thousands of dollars in back child support .So now he want to sign his right away.IS HE DOES THAT DO I HAVE THE RIGHT TO FORCE HIM TO PAY THE BACK CHILD SUPPORT. AND IF SO HOW WOOD I go about. Sharon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *