Will our financial and personal information be publicly accessible?


My husband and I are filing for divorce. How do we ensure that our financial and personal information is not publicly accessible? Is there a specific form we can file with the court?



First let me preface my answer by stating that I am not licensed to practice in the state of Colorado, although Cordell & Cordell does have attorneys who are licensed in Colorado who would be happy to discuss your case with you.

It has been my experience with the Courts that the Courts do not like to seal a file, which is to limit the public’s ability to access your file. The Courts in our country are meant to be open to the public and the only time that the public should not have access is if there is something or an issue that the Court should protect, like trade secrets or minors.

I do not know how a Colorado court would rule on such a request so you should contact an attorney in your jurisdiction to get specific advice and to file a motion to seal the file.
Jason Bowman is an attorney in the Louisville, Kentucky office of Cordell & Cordell. He is licensed in the states of Kentucky and Texas. He received his Bachelor of Science in Business from the University of Louisville, and received his Juris Doctor from Texas Wesleyan University.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *