Paying Off Child Support Arrears For Adult Children

Noblesville Indiana Divorce LawyerQuestion:

I owe child support arrears for children that are now well into adulthood with their own families. It has been well over 10 years since my children reached the age of emancipation.

Has it been long enough to reach the statute of limitations or will I be obligated to pay the back child support no matter how old my children are? I provided them with money throughout the years, just not through the courts.


I am unable to give you legal advice on divorce. I can give general divorce help for men, though, my knowledge is based on Indiana child support laws where I am licensed to practice.

If your child support obligation has been reduced to judgment, then under my state’s child support laws, you would have an obligation to pay the judgment for the child support.

If your child support obligation has not been reduced to a judgment, then there would be an obligation on the opposing party to prove that the amount is owed and has not been paid and to seek a judgment compelling you to pay the child support arrearage.

You would have the opportunity to present evidence that you have provided support for the children as required by the order establishing your child support obligation.

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than divorce tips for men, so please consult with a divorce lawyer in your jurisdiction.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Noblesville, Indiana Divorce Lawyer Sara Pitcher, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

6 Comments on "Paying Off Child Support Arrears For Adult Children"

Notify of

Sort by:   newest | oldest
9 months 7 days ago

when you are in the rear can u get your arrears adjusted

1 year 1 month ago

I live in ohio I am an adult I found out my Mom is receiving back child supoort from my dad. Shouldn’t that money go to us since we are grown?

melissa dunn
1 year 2 months ago

I’m about to pay my child support off to the state of Tennessee…not to a dad or family…I lost my son a long time ago they took him….I’m together now praise GOD…but its took 10 to 11 years to get it paid I’ve made my bond over not paying my family all got together and their gonna help me pay it off before I go to court…can the judge still put me in jail for the length of time it took…thank you

arnold Harrison
1 year 5 months ago

I’m not married but my kids all grown up this time and I’m still paying child support, back child support for them

1 year 4 months ago
Mr Harrison that is very sad you don’t support your kids when they be a little ones well I wish every state applied 100% INTEREST. FOR WHEREVER YOU OWN In back child support that be a wonderful. Then you be a 65 and still paying child support only to remained you …how responsible you are when your beautiful kids is just a baby’s ….as a divorce mother with one beautiful daughter in felling offended because I’m working 16 hours every day for provide food house clothing and private school to my daughter to give the best life to her now… Read more »
10 months 9 days ago
Just to let you know that my husband owes arrears and it is not always the husband in the wrong….. there are 2 sides to a story and people are too quick to judge the fathers… my husband has a grown daughter, her mother was the one to go off and he was left to pay support which for a lot of the time the child stayed with relatives, he had trouble paying over the years and now he still owes arrears and the interest is the killer, it would have been paid a long time ago if not for… Read more »