Paying Off Child Support Arrears For Adult Children

Noblesville Indiana Divorce LawyerQuestion:

I owe child support arrears for children that are now well into adulthood with their own families. It has been well over 10 years since my children reached the age of emancipation.

Has it been long enough to reach the statute of limitations or will I be obligated to pay the back child support no matter how old my children are? I provided them with money throughout the years, just not through the courts.

Answer:

I am unable to give you legal advice on divorce. I can give general divorce help for men, though, my knowledge is based on Indiana child support laws where I am licensed to practice.

If your child support obligation has been reduced to judgment, then under my state’s child support laws, you would have an obligation to pay the judgment for the child support.

If your child support obligation has not been reduced to a judgment, then there would be an obligation on the opposing party to prove that the amount is owed and has not been paid and to seek a judgment compelling you to pay the child support arrearage.

You would have the opportunity to present evidence that you have provided support for the children as required by the order establishing your child support obligation.

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than divorce tips for men, so please consult with a divorce lawyer in your jurisdiction.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Noblesville, Indiana Divorce Lawyer Sara Pitcher, contact Cordell & Cordell.