Modifying Child Support When You Have Another Child

Question:Kevin Mammola Atlanta Divorce Attorney

My question relates to child support.

I have a child from a previous marriage that I’m currently paying support for. I recently got married and we are expecting another child shortly.

Can I request a child support modification because I will have another child to support?


I am only licensed to practice law in Georgia, thus I can only provide you with some general divorce help for men regarding the child support laws you present in your question.

In Georgia where I practice, having another child is typically not grounds for a downward modification of child support. There are provisions in the child support statute which provide for a consideration of additional children born subsequent to the initial order.

The court could make a finding that you have less available income as a result of the additional child.

Read Related Articles:

Child Support Modification

However, I would not recommend filing for a modification of child support on that factor alone. You would first need to show a substantial change in your income or the other party’s income.

Again, I am unable to provide you with legal advice on divorce and this should not be construed as an attorney-client relationship. Consult with a local mens divorce attorney for specific divorce advice about the child support laws in your jurisdiction.

To schedule an appointment with a Cordell & Cordell mens divorce lawyer, including Kevin Mammola, an attorney in the Atlanta, Georgia, office of Cordell & Cordell, please contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *