Can You Control Who Watches Your Kids During Your Ex’s Parenting Time?

Texas divorce lawyerQuestion:

My ex-wife and I share child custody, though she has the majority of parenting time during the day.

When our child stays with my ex during her parenting time, she often has her mom over. I know she is our child’s grandma, but this woman has mental issues and is teaching our child inappropriate behaviors.

Is there anything I can do to stop it? Can I petition the court to restrict my ex-wife’s mom from watching our child?


I am unable to give you legal advice on divorce. I can give general divorce help for men, though, my knowledge is based on Texas child custody laws where I am licensed to practice.

You can petition the court to modify the parenting time orders. At that time you can ask for a restriction against Grandma watching the child.

However, do you have someone else in mind that can watch the child? If not, you might be setting yourself up for daycare and covering that expense.

Also, you might want to have some sort of evidence prepared to present to the court to prove your allegations, either documentation to prove her history of mental issues, or witnesses who have seen the change in behavior or the child, or who have seen Grandma teaching the child inappropriate behavior.

You can also ask the court to implement a right of first refusal clause, where if Mom is not available to watch the child for x amount of hours during her visitation period, you have the right to step in and watch the child first before anyone else.

You Might Be Interested In:

Parenting Time Articles

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than divorce tips for men, so please consult with an attorney in your jurisdiction for legal advice on divorce.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Amanda L. Clepper, an associate attorney in the San Antonio, Texas, office, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *