Delaying finalizing a divorce case once all documents have been filed

mens divorce lawyer Janet Yu JohnstonQuestion:

In an uncontested divorce, once the papers have been willingly signed by the Respondent, transition classes have been taken by both parties and the disposition has been signed by the Petitioner in his attorney’s office, can the Respondent take any such action to stop the judge from signing a final divorce decree?


If all required documents have already been signed, it may be difficult to try to now stop the judge from entering the decree. If the Settlement Agreement is obviously inequitable, the judge may want to call the parties in to speak with them or have a few changes made.

Aside from that, if all other necessary documents have already been filed with the court, the judge will likely proceed with signing the decree. I would recommend that you speak with an attorney and let them see your case file.

After looking at the Settlement Agreement and all other documents, a family law attorney would be able to tell you of any claims, if possible, that you may be able to make to delay or overturn the judge’s entering of the decree.

I cannot give you specific legal advice as I am not familiar with the facts of your case. For a more in-depth answer, please consult a family law attorney in your jurisdiction.

Cordell & Cordell has men’s divorce lawyers located nationwide. To arrange an initial consultation with Janet Yu Johnston, an Associate Attorney in the Louisville, Kentucky office, please contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *