Ending Child Support When Child Reaches Age Of Emancipation

ending child support upon emancipationQuestion:

I pay child support for both my children. My oldest will reach his age of emancipation later this year.

What do I need to do when that happens? Will the payments just stop automatically or do I need to go to court to stop them?


I am not licensed to practice law in your state. Therefore, I cannot inform you as to the specific laws of your state and can only provide you with general information concerning child support.

Miami divorce lawyer Christina Lapadula
Miami divorce lawyer Christina Lapadula

Some states require that child support be calculated pursuant to the Child Support Guidelines.

Generally, if you have been ordered to pay child support for multiple children, your child support obligation will not automatically reduce by a certain amount once the child reaches the age of 18 or graduates from high school, unless there is an agreement or divorce decree, which provides otherwise.

In Florida, where I am licensed to practice, a supplemental petition to modify or terminate the child support obligation would be filed prior to the child turning 18 or graduating from high school.

I am not sure how your child support payments are made, but in any case, you should be keeping records of any monies paid towards child support. It is always best to pay your support in the form of a check instead of cash.

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than general child support tips, so please consult a domestic litigation attorney in your area to obtain specific advice as to the laws in your state and how they impact your circumstances.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Florida divorce lawyer Christina Lapadula, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *