Filing For Legal Separation To Obtain More Parenting Time

parenting timeQuestion:

My wife and I are no longer living together, but not pursuing a divorce. Our son lives with her and she is deciding when I get to see him.

What can I do to get more time with my son?


While I am not licensed to practice law in your state and cannot give you legal advice, I can give some general observations on this issue based on the jurisdiction where I practice.

Missouri divorce attorney David Franklin
Missouri divorce attorney David Franklin

If you are unwilling to pursue divorce at this time, you should consider filing for legal separation.

Legal separation allows spouses to live separately but remain married. During the course of the legal separation proceedings, the court approves a separation agreement or conducts a trial to determine each spouse’s responsibility on issues that would normally be resolved during a divorce, such as child custody.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Missouri divorce lawyer David Franklin, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Shawn Garrison is an Online Editor for Lexicon, focusing on subjects related to the legal services of customers, Cordell & Cordell and Cordell & Cordell UK. He has written countless pieces dealing with the unique child custody and divorce issues that men and fathers face. Through his work on,, and, Mr. Garrison has become an authority on the complexities of the legal experience and was a content creator for the YouTube series “Dad’s Divorce Live” and additional videos on both the Dad’s Divorce and Cordell & Cordell YouTube channels. Mr. Garrison has managed the sites of these customers, and fostered the creation of several of their features, including the Cordell & Cordell attorney and office pages, the Dad’s Divorce Newsletter, and the Cordell & Cordell newsletter.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.