Exercising Parenting Time While Deployed Overseas

oklahoma city divorce lawyerQuestion:

I am in the military deployed overseas and my ex-wife is refusing to honor our parenting time agreement regarding what points during the year I can see my child.

Can she legally keep my child from visiting me as outlined in our divorce decree even though I’m deployed overseas?


I am unable to give you legal advice on divorce. I can give general divorce help for men, though, my knowledge is based on Oklahoma divorce and child custody laws where I am licensed to practice.

Her refusal to allow you to exercise your visitation can be fought by filing a Motion to Enforce. This is filed when one party is being denied visitation that he/she is ordered to have.

While it is true that enlisting in the military can have a significant effect on the amount of visitation you are able to exercise with your child, it does not necessarily mean that you need to give up any permanent custodial rights.

Without seeing all the terms of your divorce decree I am unsure if the decree accounts for when you are overseas or not.

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than divorce tips for men, so please consult with a divorce lawyer in your jurisdiction.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Oklahoma Divorce Lawyer Kristy Kapp, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *