Paying For The Marital Home Prior To Mediation

marital homeQuestion:

Following our temporary divorce hearing the judge ordered me to pay child support and continue making payments on the marital  home until we meet with a mediator.

I can’t afford to continue making these house payments. What are my options if my name is the only one on the loan?


I do not practice law in your state. Therefore, I cannot inform you as to the specific laws of your state and can only provide you with general tips on your situation.

Looking at the situation from a practical standpoint, you should try to make the payments because failing to do so will get you behind on your mortgage and could result in a contempt order from the court.

That being said, if you are at a point financially where you just cannot do it anymore you need to consult with a Family Law attorney in your area. Divorce is a complicated process and the laws and procedures vary from state to state. With the help of a skilled practitioner, there may be a way to have the court reconsider its prior order.

Virginia Beach divorce attorney Jonah Dickey
Virginia Beach divorce attorney Jonah Dickey

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Virginia divorce lawyer Jonah Dickey, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *