What To Expect From A Child Custody Case

child custodyQuestion:

I have a 2-year-old daughter. Her mother lives in another state and has never been involved in her life.

However, recently she started claiming she wants custody rights. Will she have a chance at any rights and what should I expect from this process?


I am not licensed to practice law in your state. Therefore, I cannot inform you as to the specific laws in your state and can only provide you with general information regarding your situation.

I am licensed in Tennessee and Missouri. In my states, if she wants to be involved she would need to file a petition for parenting time.

Tennessee divorce lawyer Kimberly Gray
Tennessee divorce lawyer Kimberly Gray

She would need to go before the court and request time. You would have the opportunity to tell the court what you want and what you believe is in the best interest of your daughter.

The judge will then make a decision based upon what he or she believes is in your daughter’s best interest given the evidence. There is no way of knowing what the judge will order, but if I were your attorney I would certainly request that she be given supervised visitation in your state.

If she makes a request for parenting time, you will need to hire a lawyer to assist you in presenting your best case so you can achieve the best results for your situation.

Cordell and Cordell has offices in most states. I would encourage you to call the office closest to you for a consultation so we can get more information including your jurisdiction. We would then be able to better assist you.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Tennessee divorce lawyer Kimberly Gray, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

One comment on “What To Expect From A Child Custody Case

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *