Who Is Liable For A Marital Debt If The Decree Did Not Address?

oklahoma city divorce lawyerQuestion:

My ex-wife and I broke our apartment lease when we separated and owe several thousand dollars to the property manager that should be treated as a marital debt.

Our divorce decree did not address this debt, and now the collections company is coming after me to satisfy this obligation.

Is there anything I can do as far as getting my ex-wife to contribute a portion of this debt since her name was also on the lease? She has refused to pay anything thus far.


I am unable to give you legal advice on divorce. I can give general divorce help for men, though, my knowledge is based on Oklahoma divorce laws where I am licensed to practice.

Although your divorce decree does not mention the apartment lease specifically, it is likely that there is a general provision that states that all marital debts shall be split equally.

If that is so, then you can file a contempt proceeding against your ex-wife for not paying her half of the debt.

Also, if she was on the lease, the collection company should be contacting her as well to try and collect the remaining balance.

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than divorce tips for men, so please consult with a divorce lawyer in your jurisdiction.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Oklahoma Divorce Lawyer Kristy Kapp, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

One comment on “Who Is Liable For A Marital Debt If The Decree Did Not Address?

    concern mother
    my son is going thru a divorce that his wife wanted.it is contested.but it look like all his atorney do is bringing papers and demans.but they never talk to my son abaute what rights he has.this is been going on for a year and four month.his atorney never tell him enything abaute what to do.they give my sons papers to se the children.but they dont make her do a thing she dont led him see the babys.1year and the other 5 month.my son has pay 16,000 dollars and they dont do nothing for him help what can he do?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *