Will My Child Support Payments Change When I Go On Welfare?

child supportQuestion:

I recently went on welfare. Will this have any effect on my child support payments?


I do not practice law in your state and therefore cannot provide you with specific information or procedures. However, I can offer you some insight to your situation to be discussed with a family law processional whom practices in your jurisdiction.

Each state has laws pertaining to receipt of welfare and the effect on support payments. You should consult with an attorney in your state in regards to the interplay between support and welfare. You may also wish to review resources provided by your state and department that is in charge of welfare benefits.

Pittsburgh Divorce Attorney Jill Rosenthal
Pittsburgh Divorce Attorney Jill Rosenthal

If you are looking to modify the terms of the current support order, you should consider filing a request for a modification. As long as your state’s law resembles Pennsylvania law, a party can ask that their child support obligation be modified based on a change in circumstances. The court may consider a change in income or living expenses or child’s activities as a change in circumstances that would warrant an award of child support or a modification of an existing child support order.

Please note that some states do not change a party’s support obligation until a modification is initiated even if the change of circumstances occurs months before. Again, this is something that you should speak with a family law professional in your jurisdiction about as I am not licensed to practice law in your state.

I cannot provide you with legal advice so please consult an attorney licensed to practice law in your jurisdiction to obtain specific advice as to the laws in your state and how they impact your potential case.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Pennsylvania divorce lawyer Jill Rosenthal, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

One comment on “Will My Child Support Payments Change When I Go On Welfare?

    My child support was going though New Mexico. I use to live there when the Child Support on back interest was garnished on my checks ! Now I live in Oregon for 13yrs. Few weeks ago got a letter from New Mexico saying that they where closing out the account and had to verify mailing address. So call them and verified address and now have been reimbursed since the beginning of the year and the garnishment has come off the paycheck! The child support is through the Attorney General in Lubbock Texas. The Ex is 63 now and probably has started Social Security. What should I do is it just New Mexico quit being the in between Carrier,since I don’t live in New Mexico anymore? Well Texas reinstate it ? In which case cause me more back interest while it’s been reset ?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *