Can I modify alimony if my ex told me she will never remarry?


Last year I was ordered to pay lifetime alimony (maintenance) to my ex wife. Prior to this ruling I had been receiving letters from her boyfriend stating that he would never marry her, so they could continue to collect money from me. She has been living with him for a couple years now, and he totally supports her. Can I go back to court with these letters from him and have the alimony reduced or removed due to the fact that she is purposely not getting married so I have to support her?



First let me preface my answer by stating that I am not licensed in the state of Missouri, although Cordell & Cordell, P.C. does have attorneys who are licensed in the state of Missouri who would be happy to discuss your case with you.

In some jurisdictions, a person can ask the Court to modify alimony if there is a substantial and continuing change in the circumstances. In addition, some jurisdictions terminate alimony if the receiving party remarries, dies and in some cases cohabitates with another person.  You should speak to an attorney in your jurisdiction to see what circumstances can modify or terminate alimony in the state of Missouri. The letters you received from your ex-wife’s boyfriend should certainly weigh in your favor and present evidence that would help your case.

Jason Bowman is an attorney in the Louisville, Kentucky office of Cordell & Cordell, P.C. He is licensed in the states of Kentucky and Texas. He received his Bachelor of Science in Business from the University of Louisville, and received his Juris Doctor from Texas Wesleyan University.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *