Will I be responsible for her increase in auto insurance due to her DUI?


My soon-to-be ex-wife was cited with a DUI after she served me with divorce papers. Will I be responsible for her increase in auto insurance due to her DUI?


First let me preface my answer by stating that I am not licensed to practice law in the state of Illinois, although Cordell & Cordell does have attorneys who are licensed in the state of Illinois who would be happy to discuss your case with you.

Generally, once a Court enters a decree of dissolution of marriage a spouse’s obligation to the other spouse will end, unless a Court orders otherwise. Usually, this means that you would not have to provide health insurance, auto insurance, homeowners insurance, etc., once the decree is in place.

If there is no decree in place and the premiums go up, a Court may order you to pay the increased premiums if you were previously paying the premiums. If the decree won’t be entered for some time, you may move the Court to order her to pay the increase. You should speak to an attorney in your jurisdiction for specific advice to your question and what Illinois will allow you to do.

Jason Bowman is an attorney in the Louisville, Kentucky office of Cordell & Cordell, P.C. He is licensed in the states of Kentucky and Texas. He received his Bachelor of Science in Business from the University of Louisville, and received his Juris Doctor from Texas Wesleyan University.


End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *