Can You Get Reimbursed For Paying For Wife’s College Education?

Omaha Nebraska Divorce LawyerQuestion:

During our marriage, my wife had her college education, including post-graduate degrees, paid for.

Now that she left me I would like to know if I am able to reclaim some of that money that went toward paying for her education?


I am unable to give you legal advice on divorce. I can give general divorce help for men, though, my knowledge is based on divorce laws in the states where I am licensed to practice.

Based on the set of facts you have given me, I am unsure as to whether a final Decree has been entered. If the decree has been entered, you may be able to file a Motion to Set Aside the decree based on newly discovered evidence, if such were the case. This would have to be based on evidence not contemplated during the final  hearing and under the decree entered by the court.

Read Related Articles:

Paying College Expenses After Divorce

If no decree has been entered, you may have a claim for spousal support. In addition, you may also have an argument that the debt was non-marital, however marital funds were used to pay the same off, and should thereby be only attributed to your spouse and the marital funds should be brought back into the estate.

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than divorce tips for men, so please consult with a divorce lawyer in your jurisdiction.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Omaha, Nebraska Divorce Lawyer Jamie Kinkaid, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *