Does Petitioning For Child Support Open The Custody Case?

child support Question:

My ex spouse requested an increase in child support. Does that open the case for custody?


I am not licensed to practice law in your state. Therefore, I cannot inform you as to the specific laws of your state and can only provide you with general information concerning child support.

Not necessarily. If your ex-wife has petitioned either the court or the Department of Social Services for an adjustment of child support, that does not automatically open a discussion for custody of the child(ren).

If you want to open the issue of child custody, you will have to petition the court to do so. You will have to submit a petition to modify and explain your reasons why the Court should re-open the issue of child custody.

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than general child support tips, so please consult a domestic litigation attorney in your area to obtain specific advice as to the laws in your state and how they impact your circumstances.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Utah divorce lawyer Dena L. Morgan, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *