Obtaining Belongings After Being Kicked Out Of The Home

Moving BoxesQuestion:

My wife kicked me out of the house. There are several personal belongings in the home I need, but I no longer have keys to the house. What is the best approach?


I am not licensed to practice law in your state. Therefore, I cannot inform you as to the specific laws of your state and can only provide you with general divorce tips for men.

Missouri divorce attorney David Franklin
Missouri divorce attorney David Franklin

In Missouri, where I currently practice, we recommend to file for divorce or legal separation and request that the court order your wife to surrender your personal belongings (i.e., clothes, work equipment, necessities, etc.), or to order that you be permitted to enter the residence, with police escort, to retrieve certain properties.

If you are in dire need of such property, call the police and request that they escort you to the house to retrieve your personal property.

However, there is a possibility your wife will still prohibit you from entering.  In such a scenario, a court order will be required for your to retrieve or come in possession of your property.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Missouri divorce lawyer David Franklin, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Shawn Garrison is an Online Editor for Lexicon, focusing on subjects related to the legal services of customers, Cordell & Cordell and Cordell & Cordell UK. He has written countless pieces dealing with the unique child custody and divorce issues that men and fathers face. Through his work on CordellCordell.com, CordellCordell.co.uk, and DadsDivorce.com, Mr. Garrison has become an authority on the complexities of the legal experience and was a content creator for the YouTube series “Dad’s Divorce Live” and additional videos on both the Dad’s Divorce and Cordell & Cordell YouTube channels. Mr. Garrison has managed the sites of these customers, and fostered the creation of several of their features, including the Cordell & Cordell attorney and office pages, the Dad’s Divorce Newsletter, and the Cordell & Cordell newsletter.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.