Reaching Your Own Child Support And Custody Agreements

divorce lawyer Daniel ExnerQuestion:

My ex-wife and I have reached updated child support and child custody agreements that more accurately reflect our parenting time since the time our original divorce decree was entered.

How can we amend our original decree to reflect our new agreement in order to have it enforceable? Is there a way to do this without paying a divorce lawyer?


While I am not licensed to practice law in your jurisdiction, I can provide you with general divorce help for men to your child custody laws and child support question.

I assume from your question that your new custody and child support agreement is a private arrangement and not yet filed with the court. If this is the case, you can file a Stipulation and Order to Modify a Judgment with the court that granted your original divorce.

It is always advisable to file stipulations with the court whenever you and your ex-spouse come to new agreements. If they are not filed, they are not enforceable.

Verbal Agreements:

Why They Don’t Work

Because it has been longer than two years, your new Stipulation and Order can modify both the original placement order and the child support payments.

I also advise you to at least have a mens divorce attorney review your Stipulation and Order. Paying a relatively small amount of money for a professional to double check your work can save you the future cost of litigating enforcement or trying to take back an agreement that really is not in your favor.

Please keep in mind that I am unable to provide you with specific advice on divorce and the information provided should be taken as general divorce help for men.

Cordell & Cordell has men’s divorce lawyers located nationwide. To schedule an appointment with a divorce attorney, including Daniel Exner, a Staff Attorney in the Milwaukee, Wisconsin, office, please contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *